Sunday, August 24, 2008

tribal thoughts

So the Olympics is finally over. Can't say that I really cared or watched, but the parts I found interesting were the commentary more than the sport. I was fairly depressed and embarrassed every time on of the commentators implied (or just plain said) that if the contestant was Chinese the would have got a better score (Diving) or that the Chinese officials were cheating (Womens Taekwondo), even though the 4 officials were from other countries.

My main problem is that I don't really see why people are so keen to discover who is the best at running round in a circle or jumping over something. When it comes down to it, how much is it a dispassionate interest in athletic achievement, and how much is it a matter of tribal pride. When it comes down to it, the don't want to see some one running the fastest ever, people cheer for their tribe, they want one of their own to run round in a circle the fastest. That's why governments put so much money into sport, it keeps the tribe happy, gives them something to feel good about....

I'm not sure if I find it disquieting because I don't have much tribal affiliation or just because I feel there might be better uses of the money... perhaps because it is the worry that some sort of tribal affiliation (we are better than them) seems to hold countries together so much....

just a quick ramble...

No comments: