Monday, September 24, 2007

(re)joining Generation X

I've well and truly joined Generation X (a great book by Douglas Copeland). In particular, I'm thinking of a great term coined there which is 'semi-disposable furniture'. I guess it kind of marks the high point in history where people went from needing say a chest of drawers, so buying a sturdy, hand crafted set, which would last a lifetime and could be inherited by the kids; to the stage where furniture came flat-packed and was intended to last a couple of years, or until the owners got bored of it and decided to change their 'design concept'. The whole idea of semi-disposable furniture is pretty much the Ikea concept of being able to buy cheap, interesting looking furniture, which wasn't really worth taking with you when you move, simply because it was cheaper to replace it.

This is pretty much the stage I'm at now. Ok, so I have a furnished apartment (with blue sofas), but I still managed to go out to Ikea today and pickup crockery, cutlery, bins, lamps and everything else I need to re-boot my life for less than 150 euros. There is something almost eerie about living in a now reasonably well equipped place that has no familiarity to it.
That at the fact that I'm now living with a lamp called Antifoni, some dishes called Syntes, cutlery called 365+, 12 Bumerangs (coat hangers) and several bins which I have decided to simply call 'bin'.

No comments: