Monday, September 3, 2007

Shopping spree, the Aftermath

ok, so its time to stand up (or sit cross legged) and face the music...and finish the shopping spree post... I decided to celebrate getting paid and successfully transfering money to the otherside of the world by buying 'stuff'. The spree technically started on wednsday when I ordered myself a shiny new Macbook pro (the middle size one), got an educational discount, so felt slightly righteous. Nevermind that I'm basically going to be using it at home cos the lab has bought me a new iMac (don't get me started on why they wouldn't just buy me a laptop).... anyhow... looking back now, that technically brings my new computer total to 2 so far (neither delivered yet).

Don't ask me what possessed me, perhaps I was just feeling a bit Mac heavy, perhaps I just felt like spending some more money, perhaps I was just in a reallllly good mood on saturday. Purely by chance (and a 10 minute taxi ride) I ended up at Sim Lim square: Geek mecca... 6 floors of technology shopping center.... (I should ask them to ban me). My last, biggest impulse buy for the week was a UMPC....

....ok, so I admit that I'm trying to use an acronym to disguise the fact that I went and bought myself another (albeit tiny tiny) laptop. Honestly, it is really tiny and kinda cute. It is small enough to fit into a modest sized handbag/manbag. It has touch screen you can twist round, then close the whole thing to make it into a writing tablet. In my defence it cost much less that a laptop (less than 1/4 of the price) and it is really cute... look, here's a picture of it sitting on my old laptop.

[Attempted justification continues] It is also v.light (less than 1kg), so to attempt to justify why I could need one, I created a scenario where I could carry it around at the weekends and sit in coffee shops blogging and writing things (which I've managed to do).

I admit that at most levels I just got it because it is small and cute and I like shiny new toys.... but still.....

I now have the slight problem that in a week or so I'll own 3 laptops and have a desktop 'puter at work, overkill even by my standards... I'm planning to retire my old laptop to the lab (so we can play music by our benches). Am still searching for other forms of atonement....

No comments: