Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Things I'm reading....

Notes from an even smaller island
A Bill Bryson like series of anecdotes written by a British guy who lived in Singapore for five years. I borrowed this from Thomas and its quite fun to dip into every now and then. Its written for both expats and Singaporeans, providing funny tales of strange Singaporean behaviours, customs and encounters, as well as a fair few 'dumb Ang Moh' (dumb white guy) stories.

Also explains some aspects of Singaporean behaviour like Kiasu (something like fear of failure, often at the expense of others)



In the Miso Soup, by Ryu Murakami
I got this partly because I've had good experiences with Japanese writes called Murakami...
I'm only halfway through now, but its quite a gripping wander around the seedy sex districts of Tokyo, which isn't something I immediately associate with Japan. Liking it so far...

No comments: