Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Gladiator...

Had great fun at Arnis last night. Went to both classes again (in a fairly suicidal way), but I was allowed to try sparing for the first time, which was lots of fun... Got dressed up in a huge helmet with a cage on the front an lots of neck padding, also got a groin guard and I was given a 'padded' stick. I have discovered the following:
1. The term 'padded' is relative, it still hurts when you get hit, although I was too knackered to notice.

2. Fighting is really hard work. We did 3x2 min rounds with 30 seconds break in between. I now have much more respect for boxers... It was one of the most tiring things I've done, much harder that the 45 min workout which we had to do before it (which probably didn't help).

3. Most of what I have learned during the lessons vanishes in the first 15 seconds and the whole thing rapidly degenerates into two 6 year olds with sticks (at least in my case).

4. It is surprisingly fun. I'm looking forward to doing it again. (once the bruises have gone down and my muscles have recovered).

5. Its really hard to take pictures of yourself to illustrate bruises...

No comments: