Saturday, November 10, 2007

Just read....

Just finished reading 'The Raw Shark Texts' by Steven Hall. I really liked this book. I was slightly skeptical at the beginning, the protagonist wakes up lying on the floor with no memories and no idea who he is. He receives a series of messages from himself, with hints of who he is. He discovers from a psychiatrist that his girlfriend died in an accident and he lost his memory after this. I admit thinking at the start of the book that this was going to be somewhere between a book version of Memento and the Bourne Identity (neither of which would have been too bad). In fact the book rapidly takes several more Kafkaesque turns and gets pleasingly strange. I don't want to ruin the book by explaining it more, but it is really worth reading. I also love some of the type setting in the book. Which really adds to the feeling of it. Especially near the end (you'll know what I mean when you get to it).

Buy it, read it, share in the hallucination.

No comments: